Thursday 14 April 2011

Repotting (again) - and aphids (again)

Hi!

It's been a while since I posted anything. It's not because of laziness. Rather because of the !"#¤!¤ aphids!

We have really been struggling with the aphids. I think it's about the same amount as last year. It was terrible. But I expect them to go away as soon as the plants are moved outside.

Today I repotted three more varieties. Black pepper, pimenta da Neyde and the Mexican chiltepin.

I will get back with some pictures later. Right now I don't think that they are so good looking so it's even worth taking a picture of them.

How about you? How do you experience aphids this year? Better? Worse? Or the same?

Regards,
  Mats

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the aphids are terrible. The biological sprays (Neem oil based) do not kill them although they reduce their growth and spreading a little. And I don't want to use chemical insecticides. Fortunately I do not have the aphids inside at home, only when I put the plants outside to balcony they get the aphids. For this reason I am not overwintering many of my chilli plants and I cut the ones I am overwintering drastically so I can remove all of the aphids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, overwintering is a challenge. Usually I just keep a couple of my absolute favorites over the winter. So that wasn't the problem. I think I got the aphids in the new soil.
    I don't want to use chemicals either. I use pine tree soap (såpa in Swedish - http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A5pa). It's quite good for the aphids, but one could wish it took away all of them.

    ReplyDelete