Thursday 8 July 2010

My herb garden

Lately I have become more and more interested in ayurveda, and the herbs used in herbal medicine. So this year, I am not only growing chile peppers. I'm also growing some herbs.

Tulsi green (holy basil)
A common herb in ayurveda. I grow this one so I can make tea and use it in my cooking.


Basil Genovese
A must when making pesto :-)


Salvia officinalis
We like fresh salvia on fish and chicken. It's a nice plant to grow.


Fenugreek
I use fenugreek for sprouting. The sprouts have a fresh "curry" like taste, and we like them a lot. Of course I also had to put the seeds in soil, and this is how the plant looks.


Turmeric
Turmeric is another spice I use on a regular basis. Mostly in its dried format, but lately I have been using the fresh root. It has a very strong taste, is quite "oily" and has a strong yellow colour. I put some of the roots in soil, and after a couple off weeks this "thing" came up :-)

Ajwain
According to ayurveda, Ajwain is a strong digestive stimulant. I use the seeds in some of my cooking, and decided to try to grow it. And here is the result. It's an interesting looking plant. Don't you agree?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mats

    Does the tulsi grow OK outside in Stockholm? I love tulsi tea and would like to grow my own. My rocopica, which I grew from seed last year, is fruiting really well - delicious flavour (not ripe yet, but I remember them from last year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    The tulsi on the picture, I have kept inside. In the kitchen window. But now I have started some more tulsi out on the balcony. So far so good, but on the other hand, it's been really hot the last couple of weeks.

    Yes, rocopica is great! Good heat!

    Haven't made tulsi tea yet, but I will soon!

    ReplyDelete