Tuesday 5 January 2010

The 2010 Chile Year has started!

Happy New Year!

Usually I start the chile pepper year on January the 1st. But this year it took a few days to get started. So today is the day!

I'm looking at the thermometer. It's -16C right now and it's going to get colder the coming days. Everything outside is deep frozen. But it's a beautiful landscape.

It took me some days to decide on the varieties. Too many to choose from. As always. But anyway, here is the list :-)

Maraba. A favorite C. chinense from Brazil.
Alberto. From Patricia's uncle Alberto's farm outside Rio de Janeiro. A very nice C. baccatum.
Aji Norteño. Another C. baccatum favorite!
Cheiro de Para. C. chinense. Bought on the market in Recife 2001.
Cheiro. Also bought in Recife 2001. A mild chinense with wonderful flavour.
CAP 1530 /97. Capsicum cardenasii.
Manzano orange (rocoto). Capsicum pubescens.
Rocoto manzano grande (red). Capsicum pubescens.
Patriks chinense. I need to look up the name of this one :-) It's a wild C. chinense.
Prik dae luang. One of the first Thai peppers that I grow.
Olho de pombo. Funny name. Eye of a pidgeon. Couldn't resist to grow this one.
Cheiro '02. Another favorite C. chinense that I grew in 2002. Carl loves them on crisp bread.

Besides these, I keep several from last year, and the year before that.
  • Dedo de moca
  • Capsicum galapagoense
  • Long chocolate habanero. But it's a red one. Anyway. Nice flavour.
  • Tabasco '02
  • CGN 22876 / PI606708 tovarii
  • CAP 1153 / 96
  • Chilipiquin - Manor
  • Rocopica
So, I believe this is going to be a good chile pepper year. Lots of favorites! And a few new ones.

Back to today. Here are the photos :-)

Here Carl and I are getting ready to put the seeds in soil.
Carl is the chief seed-in-soil-putter, so here he gets them from me...
More varieties coming on.
The team!
Carl is happy with the work we've done.
Finished!
A closer look
The list, and my box with seeds. I used to have over 1000 seeds, but they have been decreased to less than 200 :-) Does that make me a minimalist?


More to come!

Regards,
  Mats

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Mats!

    Some of my friends call me early, I allways "blame" you for this great traditon;) Such a fresh start to the year. I also loved the name Patriks chienense:) It seems to be very similar to Charapita that is described in DeWitts new book. http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Charapita&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any
    But I will call it just wild chinense for now. Please watch my new Swedish blog.
    http://www.chilepeppar.blogspot.com/. I do grow a chiltepin and a piquin just becase I was so inspired of your peppers when I saw them.

    Lycka till med odlingen 2010

    Patrik

    ReplyDelete